Saturday, September 5, 2009


I made delicious hot browns for my family tonight. It'd been so long since I'd had one and I was seriously craving them. It's like bourbon balls or derby pie; something so Kentuckian, you simply have to love it if you're a native. It's so decadant but, I grew up on these and can't seem to ever turn them down.
Mine's pretty simple to make; toast, layered with turkey, ham, fresh tomato slices, my own version of a mornay sauce, melted cheese and bacon.
My mornay sauce starts with a simple roux (a few tablespoons of butter melted, mixed with a couple tablespoons of flour on low heat). I let the roux get nice and thick and bubbly, then add milk slowly and let it cook until it's a nice gravy thickness. Then, I add some shredded cheese or grated parmesan, salt, pepper and a little bit of garlic.
It's truly delicious.
I was just thinking that the schools on the top of my list are in Massachussets, and if I get in, it will be truly bizarre to be so far away from these southern things that just scream of home.

No comments: